Eric Kent Wine Cellars
The Wine Tour
Wines
artists
vineyards
galleries
team
purchase
allocation
news
Facebook
Twitter

2012 Cuvée Renee Sauvignon Blanc

2012 Cuvée Renee

Sauvignon Blanc

SONOMA COUNTY


—  SOLD OUT —

TASTING NOTES

We are very excited to introduce a Sauvignon Blanc into our lineup. Cuvée Renee is named after Kent’s sister (and our business partner) Renee Humphrey. If you’re looking for a tropical, fruity, delicious SB, this is your wine! Our goal for SB is to make just one blend that is as layered, complex and complete as possible, and we think we’re off to a great start with the 2012 vintage.

A quick note about style: while we appreciate the many variations of SB out there, our goal with Cuvée Renee is to showcase the fruity tropical side of the grape. If you prefer a predominantly grassy, herbal style, this may not be your cup of tea. Check out the tasting notes below for our personal impressions.

Pronounced tropical aromas of passion fruit, papaya, lemon-lime zest and honeysuckle practically fly out of the glass. Then peach, pineapple and dried apricot flavors are carried through on the palate by a wonderful balance of acidity and texture, with hints of traditional hay and lemon peaking out on the finish. We cold fermented 86% in stainless steel at 48º to 50º F, and the remaining 14% in carefully chosen new French oak, reaching temperatures closer to 65º F. Once blended, all the wine went into neutral barrels for an additional month of aging before going to bottle with no malolactic fermentation. The result is fruity, fresh, lively, textured and complex.

A final note about clarity: we took precautions to decrease the formation of protein haze in the wine, but these techniques can also strip away wonderful aromas and flavors. At the end of the day, we were only willing to go so far. So keep your wine cool to avoid a magical appearance of sedimentary haze in the bottles. That said, if it should happen, rest assured it's natural and should not affect your enjoyment of the wine!

VINEYARDS

89% Dry Stack, 11% Hummingbird Hill

CLONES

89% Rauscedo, 6% Sauvignon Musque, 5% Clone 1  

DRINKING WINDOWS

Prime drinking: summer 2013 to summer 2014
Graceful ageability: drink it young and cool!

STATS

pH: 3.36  |  TA: 6.7 g/L
  |  Alcohol: 14.4%

Bottling: January 18, 2013  |  Release: Spring 2013
Cases Produced: 172

<< previous  |  next >>

Contact Trade & Media

© Fri Dec 15 21:29:15 PST 2017 Eric Kent Wine Cellars  |  All Rights Reserved  |  Photography by ArtSeed  |  Website by New Media Works